When thinking about the Bible we often think of it as merely a book. It has pages, sometimes they are gilded, it has a binding either glued or sewed, it has a front cover and a back cover, a table of contents, and usually a small concordance in the back, page numbers, titles, paragraph breaks and so on. This, of course, is all true, but when we think about the Bible as the Word of God we should think God’s thoughts after Him. So, what does the Bible say about itself?
- A sword—“For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart” Hebrews 4:12. Also, Isaiah 49:2 and Revelation 1:16.
- Fire and a hammer—“Is not my word like fire, declares the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?” Jeremiah 23:29.
- Life—“For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess” Deuteronomy 32:47.
- Food—“And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord” Deuteronomy 8:3. Also, Matthew 4:4.
- Light—“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” Psalm 119:105.
- The finest silver—“The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times” Psalm 12:6.
- Rain—“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it” Isaiah 55:10-11. Also Deuteronomy 32:2.
- Seed—“Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God” Luke 8:11.
- Mirror—“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing” James 1:22-24.
- Honey—“How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” Psalm 119:103
The Bible is not merely a book. It is a book from God, powerful as raging fire, able to pierce like a sword or shatter like a hammer. It is honey, food, and life for the faithful. We are to adorn ourselves with it because it is better than the finest silver. The Word provides light in darkness, rain in drought, seed in famine. In the Word we see ourselves as we truly are, sinners in need of grace. The Word is the only true mirror for the life and worth of a Christian. Devote yourselves to the study of God’s magnificent, unchanging Word.